Look Ma! Paneer!
Matar Paneer (or as the fancy people would call it,
Peas and Cottage Cheese, in a spicy sauce of Tomato) has been one of my favorite dishes growing up, and I ended up making a pretty respectable rendition of it on the eve of 2019.
- Paneer (Cottage Cheese)
- Cumin Seeds
- Black Salt
- Fresh Coriander
- Red Chilly Powder
Protip: You can use Feta cheese or Hirtenkäse instead of Paneer
- Heat some oil in a pot. Add the red chilly powder and the cumin seeds, and let them fry a little. Add finely chopped ginger and garlic. Add the salt. Fry till the garlic is golden-brown. Add coarsely quartered onions. Fry till nice and brown. Add quartered onions and continue frying. Add water sparingly, just so that nothing burns. Fry till the tomatoes are “done”. Remove from heat.
- Once the “stuff” is cooled to the point you can touch it without burning yourself, puree it. Return this puree back to the pot.
- Add water to the pot to give it a runny, soup like consistency. Add just a little black salt to enhance the taste. Add the peas and let it boil till the peas are cooked. Remove from heat.
- Roughly cube the cheese to bite sized pieces. Add to the pot. Add roughly shorn fresh coriander to garnish. Serve hot with your favorite source of Carbs.
- Your Friendly Neighborhood Kitchen Admin?
- [Update 2] Wall Clock